The Quad ESL-988 is an electrostatic speaker. It is part of the Classic series. It was manufactured from 1999 to now.
michele surdi (February 27, 2009): does any one know if 2009 vintage 988 are still being sold with the godawful old plastic speaker connectors?
Quad web site (July 11, 2011): The ESL 988 replaces the much-loved ESL 63 model. Although of similar size and proportions, the resemblance is only skin deep - for more than 90% of the internal components have been re-designed, upgraded, or modified. Twenty years of materials science have led to improvements in virtually every component and area of construction. The new model has better audio transformers, a new power supply, improved diaphragms, a strong heavyweight moulded base and new grille assemblies. Particular attention has been given to the structural integrity of the loudspeakers, which has been improved beyond all recognition. The result of these changes is an electrostatic loudspeaker that is as much a leader today as its predecessor was 20 years ago. Larger dynamics and a smoother response are two of the most noticeable improvements in sound quality. A slight backward tilt lifts the stereo image when these speakers are floor standing.
- Maximum Power Output: 2N/m2 at 2m on-axis
- Sensitivity: 1.5u Bar / Volt referred to 1m
- Impedance: 8 Ohm nominal
- Maximum continuous input voltage: 10V
- Programme Peak (for undistorted output) : 40V
- Programme Peak (permitted): 55V
- Directivity index (125Hz): 5.0dB
- Directivity index (500Hz): 6.4dB%
- Directivity index (1kHz): 7.2dB
- Directivity index (8kHz): 10.6dB
- Axis band limits: -6dB at 35Hz (3rd Order)
- Axis band limits (low level): -6dB >25kHz
- AC input (double insualted): 220-240V or 110-120V
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 940 x 670 x 315mm (including 185mm base)
- Weight: 20.5kg
- Finishes: Black, Blue/Silver, Brown/Patterned
The following models were also produced in the Classic series:
Quad II Classic
Quad II Forty
Forum topics on the Quad ESL-988
The following topics regarding the Quad ESL-988 have been found in the forums. If you want to start a new topic, click here.