No models listed yet.
Harry Booth (August 21, 2003): Astatic Corp started 1933 by Creed McKinley Chorpening, F. H. Woodworth and Charles E. Semple in Youngstown. Started manufacturing phonographic pickups in 1938 and other audio related transducers a little later. Moved into a purpose built factory in Conneaut in Ohio in 1944. Appears to have gone ot of business in early 1987. The current trademark owners seem to have no relation to the original company.
HistoryCarl Jacksson (December 9, 2009):
In 1930, two amateur radio operators, C.M. Chorpening, W8WR (later W8MJM) and F.H. Woodworth, W8AHW began experimenting with different types of microphones for their "ham' stations. Their mutual friend, Charles Semple, worked for Brush Development Company where he had been experimenting with Rochelle Salts crystals. When Semple demonstrated some crystal pick-ups that Brush was working with, Chorpening and Woodworth recognized that a crystal microphone would provide excellent service in their ham transmitters. As a result, Chorpening and Woodworth founded The Astatic Microphone Laboratory, Inc. in Youngstown, Ohio in 1933. Semple was brought into the company as general manager to manufacture and market the company's model D-104 Crystal Microphone. They were soon able to branch out with a line of crystal microphones, crystal phonograph pickups and recording heads for manufacturers and radio jobbers.
In 1944, Astatic moved operations to Conneaut, Ohio. In addition to quantities of microphones, pickups and crystal cartridges supplied to the Armed Forces and essential industries during the World War II period, Astatic designed, perfected and manufactured many other types of electronic equipment. Included were a number of under-water sound detection or Sonar devices. Astatic soon became a producer of Hydrophones for the U.S. Navy under direct contract, and for other manufacturers of Sonar equipment on a subcontract basis. For Army and Navy bomber and fighter planes, Astatic perfected and produced a Static Discharger for dissipating static electricity which accumulated, due to friction in flight, on wing surfaces, fuselage and tail assemblies. A further contribution was made by Astatic in the design and manufacture of coaxial cable connectors used exclusively by both the US Army and US Navy for Radio, Radar and Sonar hookups and installations. During this period the company shipped in one month a total of over 650,000 units.
After WWII, Astatic Microphone Laboratory became The Astatic Corporation. Currently, the company is located in Solon, Ohio and offers microphones and audio accessories to the professional, commercial, and installation audio industries. The Amateur & CB product division of Astatic was sold to Barjan, LLC, a major mobile communications product distributor. Barjan has since expanded the Astatic name to include many accessories including coaxial cables, meters and antennas