A-1800-HF, cerwin vega a-1800 a-2200 a-3000 Vintage Power Amps

Read more on the Cerwin-Vega A-1800-HF in our home audio section

Richard Green2013-01-09 11:06

These are the best of the best Amps ever long lasting high power good sounding and I have had many inside these monsters is a massive power transformer and filter caps the size of soda cans I have never seen anything like it before with portable outboards that slide in and out for easy repair solder joints are the only fault I could find after 30 or 40 years they start to sail and have to be redone and thats all. I think all audio should be built like this totally bulletproof I had to take it apart and look for the noted joints
and resolder them I think it was about 8 transistor joints that need repair not the transistors themselves but just the joints dial connected to the board I think in time they just get hot and old and start to crack causing all kinds
of false malfunctions symptoms this could be very costly if you have every transistor check for failure.
The main cause of problems with all vintage Cerwin Vega power amps are just the solder joints.

Advertisement

Cerwin Vega Vintage Audio2013-01-09 11:35

Some times I think of the old cars and trucks how well made and safe they we're Cerwin Vega was just like that made very well and made to last the amps of old had great sound and never gave me nothing but reliability I will indeed miss them.
I have been looking for one but all I found was the new garbage china made units that I was told sounded bad I will keep looking.

Cerwin Vega Vintage Audio2013-01-09 12:24

Mikey...That's cool CV fans I play in a Rock band in Atlanta Georgia we are still using the old vintage power amps made by Cerwin Vega most of the time we're playing them at high volume 4 amps are stored in the rack system linked to one Gli preamplifier about 12--15 inch woofers usually we will be playing anywhere from 6 to 8 hours practicing or playing live I would say these amplifiers are about 30 years old we never had a problem with the damn things our sponsor wanted to update the audio system and try buying new Cerwin Vegas cv2800 cv1800 sadly these amps
only lasted 3 months before frying due to the high stress and high volume they could not take it sadly we had to revert back to the vintage amplifiers which are still going strong today thank you vintage Cerwin Vega.

David Lee Coles Sr2013-01-29 17:18

I AM NOW WORKING ON SOME LOSE MINI INPUT BOARDS THAT I FOUND COME LOSE IN SHIPPING THE UNIT FROM THE SELLER TO THE BUYER.
VINTAGE CERWIN VEGA POWER AMPS HAVE REPLACEABLE MINI BOARDS THAT REST ON SPIKES THAT ARE LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE AMP ON BOTH CHANNELS LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES THEY PULL OFF FOR EASY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT WELL SHIPPING OR DROPPING OR JUST MOVING THE AMP CAN CAUSE THE BOARDS TO GET LOSE AND IF THEY DO THE AMP WHEN POWERED ON WILL BLOW OUT THE SPEAKERS THE FIX IS TO SOLDER THE BOARDS TO THE SPIKES THAT HOLD THEM IN PLACE THE SPIKES ALSO ARE CONNECTORS THAT LINKS THE INPUT BOARDS TO THE OUTPUT BOARDS TO THE SPEAKERS.
SOLDERING OF BOARDS WILL PREVENT MOVEMENT AND COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT ALSO REMEMBER TO ADD A SMALL 3 SPEED HOUSE FAN TO THE TOP OF THE VENT TO KEEP IT COOL THE MORE VOLUME TO THE SPEAKER THE FASTER THE FAN THIS WILL KEEP THE UNIT COOL AND PROTECT THE INTERNAL PARTS FROM GETTING HOT THIS WILL ADD MANY MORE YEARS OF PLAY LIFE TO ANY OF THE VINTAGE VEGA POWER AMPS.

KEEP CERWIN VEGA VINTAGE POWER AMPLIFIERS ALIVE FOREVER..........

Cerwin Vega Vintage Audio2013-01-31 06:23

We are buying a used vintage CV-3000i I think this beast is 1000wpc max output I need to know what typ of speakers do I get I understand that nothing new can support this type of power does anyone
have any suggestions.

Robbass10004@msn.com2013-01-31 06:29

in response to your question I think you need to get old fashion night club speakers they take a lot of watts to knock them out try ebay .

Kittymore2013-01-31 07:11

To all the guys this girl has had the cv metron for 27 years I use it as a home system and the stereo sound from this thing is better than my Yamaha surround sound amplifier the Metron by Cerwin Vega has both power and sound quality that is superb now then why did they sell out to Stanton I think the Stanton amp looks like a gray Cerwin Vega amp I bet you money that they all the same amp both made in china but you they will never copy the the separation sound quality or power of the vintage models.
For many years me and my brother have been looking for a power amplifier that can come close to this Metron but failed we listen to many different brands of power amplifiers some sounded okay but did not have the separation or quality of the vintage Vega Amps no EQ needed with this thing it sound fan tastic just the way it is I do hope ebay has another for sale soon.

Kittymore2013-01-31 08:28

I'm very glad you know about the Cerwin Vega products you should know and understand that only the vintage line Cerwin Vegas are the top of the line in sound quality stereo separation and power built to last forever these units are showing up now all over the place just a small amount of maintenance is what is needed to keep them going keeping the inside clean of dust and keeping a fan on the ventilation top to keep the unit cool bullet proof steel case 10 to 14 output transistors per side a large transformer and two coke can size filter caps make this unit a beast. maybe if enough of us keep it alive they will come back to the United States and start building a quality product again how many people know about the speakers but few people know about the amplifiers that ran those speakers they had to be hardcore and powerful to continue to power the powerful woofers inside cabinets

Kittymore2013-01-31 08:36

May be someone can copy the work of the old vintage Vegas and create a new vintage power amplifie with the same quality of the old days.

Kittymore2013-01-31 08:54

yeah that will be great but they would have to also create the warehouse that made the parts of the original Amps this would mean jobs for makers buyers and sellers we should also make another motion picture movie using the sensoron Amplifier system if we want to create jobs we can do it by this matter then we would have to open up stores to sell these amplifiers and I'm sure they would sell like hotcakes as a boy I always wanted one of these amps but could not afford it so I purchase the cheaper techniques model which was poorly made and didn't last very long I think it blew why I was playing at a house party I remembered blue smoke coming out of the amplifier while playing The Jackson 5 if you buy garbage you get garbage but all the vintage Cerwin Vega lines in my book was the top of the line ever made in the old USA out of California which started out in someone's garage became 1 of the best amps ever made.

Kittymore2013-01-31 09:06

what is good sounds good sound is highs and bass and mids equally aranged to create a balanced sound with power to boot inside many of these older model vintage amplifiers some parts maybe similar but poorly made construction causes them to fail early in life not so with Cerwin Vega the original creators of the Amplifier wanted something to last a long time and build quality to last forever this was their model build something good and you won't have to fix it in the event you do have to perform maintenance make the parts interchangeable Quick Access In N Out this is the piggyback boards of the Vega amplifiers they had quick to change parts inside the input boards piggybacked on the output boards this made them easy to work on.

Kittymore2013-01-31 09:15

with all this new info it should be fairly easy to repair any Cerwin Vega Amplifie yes in the event you need to repair one. with this information it should show everyone how easy it is to repair a Vega amplifier with the parts not needed to be changed but just maintenance checking for cracked solder joints keeping the app queen of dust keeping the cool with a small 3 speed house fan using the proper speakers with the correct ohms these are all simple ways in keeping the vintage Cerwin Vega power amps in excellent working condition.

Kittymoreujjuj2013-01-31 09:34

very bad typos I stated keeping the amp clean of dust using a 3 speed house fan to cool the unit checking for cracked solder joints using the proper speakers with the correct ohms 4 and 8 ohms speakers only. in this matter you should keep this amplifier for another 40 years well I think we just about covered everything in the maintenance and repair issue somethings are simple with just a little knowledge in closing I believe that the Cerwin Vega vintage power amplifiers are the very best in the world made in the USA .

Mingyang2013-01-31 09:52

I am Mr Yang I have been reading the statements about China and poor quality electronics can you give me more on the matter I I use to work in China for Hatache whong electronics and I disagree although we manufacture many of the same parts and we use many of the same parts each unit is made differently according to the designers specifications.

Mingyang2013-01-31 10:04

In rebuttal to your statement I have opened many new Amplifiers that were made in China GLI , Gem sound,Cerwin Vega Stanton pyramid, and many others to say the least inside of each one of these power amplifiers were identical down to the heat sinks the placement of the output transistors the placement of the transformer the placement of the LED lights dear sir I've been repairing electronics for over 30 years and I tell you that each 1 of these power amplifiers what identical inside the case they just had a different name on the outside. and get this everyone of them sounded exactly the same even though they had different noted watts per Channel the output tested was identical to each of the Amps.

Mingyang2013-01-31 10:13

There must be an erorr in your findings I disagree with your findings China manufactures many of the same parts Construction is as per the design of the Amp.

Mingyang2013-01-31 10:21

I do not stand corrected are you telling me that everyone designs there Amplifiers the same way if so then would they not look alike and sound alike if what you're stating is true I do not stand corrected my statement is simply this US made items back in the seventy's and eighty's were excellent quality with Vega leading in excellent Autio electronics I am sure back then China made better electronics then also but now sir all your audio electronics are all the same so far of what I have seen inside the case all identical

Mingyang2013-01-31 10:25

Mingyang, I'm sure you have not seen all the amplifiers China have constructed many of a product may be similar in design but yet I assure you are quite different.

Samsung2013-01-31 10:41

for the past 8 years I've been working on a lot of power amplifiers from China they al arel identical as I have stated I am done.

Samsung2013-01-31 10:45

sorry I make a lot of typos when I'm upset I stated they all are identical in 8 years of repairing China made amplifiers I see no difference inside the case even down to the output transistors they're all placed identically in the same area I believe most of these amplifiers are made in the same warehouse with different names on them mass constructed the same way to save on parts and design

Samsung2013-01-31 10:57

Cerwin Vega vintage Amplifiers had quality parts quality design quality construction made to last this is something you can still see today because the power amplifiers of old still exist in people's homes and nightclubs world wide now thats quality MADE in the United States of America state of California when you build something great it will last forever when you don't it won't.
let's look at techniques and pioneer and Kenwood and many other power amplifiers some made constructed in China some designed in the US but still assembled in China most of these power amplifiers you don't hear much about anymore because most of them have already burned up and thrown in the garbage but not the Cerwin Vega vintage amps they are still here to stay.

Samsung2013-01-31 11:07

Ming, well I don't think it's fair to compare the vintage Vega with the new audio equipment of today we just don't make things like that anymore everything is smaller now but thats not to say that the quality of those vintage Amplifiers was not unique it is noted that the CV was very high in power quality and sound many top artist and bands use to use those amplifiers in the day but now everything is much smaller and Compaq some Sound may have been compromised in doing this yes but that does not mean the units are garbage it's just a sign of the times the new against the old.

Samsung2013-01-31 11:09

Samsung, I WILL TAKE THE OLD OVER THE NEW ANY DAY....CV ROCKS

Vintage Audioking2013-02-16 07:11

I Need to agree with the statements that the Vintage Cerwin Vega Power Amplifiers are bullet proof
I just picked up a 3000i power amp made by cerwin vega I never seen any thing like this before
I needed a dolly just to transport the thing to my home I got it from the local GoodWell outlet neer my home.
The thing must be 65 to 75 pounds I had to clean it up but it is in fare shape so now it was time to put some speakers on it I had some old JVC 12-inch speakers that had been with me for years so I put them on and turned the amp on I had a cd player hooked up as the input Ledzepplin playing now it was time to crank it up to half way on the volume pots then it came smoke and fire coming out from the speakers I then turned the amp off to find the speakers BLOWN I then took the amp to my tech to be checked he stated all is well noting wrong with the amp but this is a very powerful Amp and the speakers bursted into flames do to the low watts of the speakers he said I would need professinal speakers that are 500 or more watts to handle this beast so EBay here I come I hope to find something.....

David2013-02-16 09:24

I would think the fuse would blow before the speakers unless they were realy low low watt speakers if this is for your home I would get some Penvey 339 or CV vintage r337 they are 1000 watts and will handle that amp they cost a little more than the other brands but the speakers can handle the wattage ebay may have some I think I paid around 700 or 800 dollars for the prayer I believe there are 2-12 inch woofers in each cabinet and 2 high output horns you maybe able to bid for less good luck.

Davidleecoles2013-02-16 22:02

CERWIN VEGA POWER AMPLIFIER REPAIR TECH FOR CV TOM MCMAHONS VINTAGE AUDIO REPAIR CENTER AUGUSTA GA 30906 [706]793-1099 MASTER TECH FOR CERWIN VEGA POWER AMPS HE HAS RE-BELT 3 AMPS FOR ME THAT ARE LIKE NEW AGAIN IF YOU NEED HELP CALL HIM OR SEND HIM THE AMP FOR FULL SERVICE AT A CHEAP RATE.

Tonyc2013-02-17 10:24

I have a CV A2200 it has a very bad hum coming from the right channel the left is low but plays good
Can some one help me with this amp it's big and heavy and old no tubes.

Ivan2013-02-18 14:53

It sounds like you need to replace both of the power capacitors they look like soda cans they are large and dry up after many year you will not find the same ones you take out but you can upgrade to 15000 mfd or 18000 mfd at 100 volts they will work just fine check ebay I seen 2 for sale also Google it you find some there to good luck.

Be careful with the removal of the capacitors they hold high voltage even after you unplug the amp which may kill or hurt you.

Robert D2013-02-28 11:53

I need to know how I can get a Cerwin Vega vintage power amp I am hearing many great things about this power amp and Ebay has gone dry on the CV vintage power amps.
If anyone knows where or how I may buy one please let me know via email or post it here I am reading up on this amp here on this site and now I would like one for my home yes all the new stuff
has no great sound at all thanks...

Patrick Lee2013-09-22 23:18

Found some old vega power amps on ebay good amps good price now that said please note that the old vegas are the very big amps not the small china junk that is made for stanton inc...
The big boys from 1972 to 1988 are 50 plus pounds of insane massive power the A3000i puts out a max watt per channel 900 watts to clip and it will power [8 to 12] 15 inch speakers like nothing i ever seen they are playing now and the massive vu meters are not moving but they do work its just there is no out stress the power is clean and powerful and I must state there is nothing like it.
If you get one of these monsters amps and have it updated and checked for failing solder joint you will have this amp 4 ever.
There is lots of room for repairing inside the case parts can still be pick up on the google search engine well have fun with your new toys from the masters of sound VINTAGE CERWIN VEGE........

Carl2016-07-05 19:17

ab international made all of cerwin vegas amps from 1979 on rocklin ca very good stuff check them out

Carl2016-07-05 19:46

there best speakers were the q1 1990-1994 and the very rare 435s 1974 ab international stopped making cervin vega amps in 1979 then later cerin vega sold out in 2001 to stanton china junk

Davidleecoles32016-08-11 06:35

Not sure on the International thing nothing on any of the 8 Cerwin Vega power amps I have stated anything but made in California.
But yes they are great and bullet proff.
I HAVE 2 A-2200 2 A-1800 AND 2 A-3000I
All in a rack system 2 of them have been rebuilt.
But I have found the sound and power of Cerwin Vega in a new modle power amp that is unknown for now.
Technical Pro AX-3000 on Ebay has just as much power and clean sound as the (CV, A-3000I)
I paid $110 each and picked up 3 of them they're much lighter power amplifiers with the same power as these monsters Cerwin Vegas.
After I paid over $700 in repairs of the CV I decided
to find the same sound in a new amp as the vintage CV amps.
After 15 different Power amplifiers later I stumble across technical Pro AX-3000 and the sound and power and price blew my mind.
So I paid for 3 of them for a little under $400.
So I must change my statement to the above one
Technical Pro is awesome in sound quality and price but only the AX,3000 model puck up one you will see.
They a built in Japan but designed in the United States.
They are awesome power amplifiers and the power of an A-3000I in a $110 dollar amp is unheard of with absolutely no distortion on noise whatsoever just RAW power....

Davidleecoles32016-08-11 06:44

Sorry for the typos its late at night and I am trying to post info on this site....
I have had these amplifiers for 5 months now and I have put them to the test using Regga to punch out bass that you can feel in your chest....all I can say is wow!!!
Technical Pro,AX-3000 is totally awesome...

Frank Williams2016-08-11 06:57

I read your post on the AX-3000 technical Pro power amplifier.
It reads 3000 watts not...lol this amp has just 300 watts at 8 ohms and 450 watts at 4 ohms.
Now with that said I do love the sound and the power of the output to watts they are very good.
With a peramp and a EQ we can get that same clean sound as the vintage Cerwin Vega power amps but I am not sure if they will last long for the price of only $110...

Anthony Daniels 2016-08-11 07:07

Just a little info on this new AX,3000 from TP,I have had one for 2 years and it still works like new.
I do think they have been for sale for a while now the new model is the z3200 and that amp sucks.
The Z3200 is piss poor in sound and it has a lot of noise coming out of both channels.
But this vintage AX-3000 is a bargain for the price I think they could get 5x more for it.

Davidleecoles32016-08-11 07:16

Hell yes 5 time more for this amp but thank God its cheap.
Now I have seen this Amp for $199 on Amazon
so I guess it is where you buy it.
I do not like any of the technical Pro Z series power amplifiers they sound like garbage what were they thinking.
If you have a great sounding power Amp keep it the same, TP has many new amps out there now and many different prices but I think you will save your cell phone lot of money and time by just getting the AX-3000. It comes with separate volume controls on an equalizer built in along with it MP3 port.
I think they made a mistake building this amplifier because it sounds too good for the money.

Mcmahon's Electronics Repair 3037 Meadowbrook Dr, Augusta, Ga 30906 (706) 793-10992016-09-30 22:33

Master Vintage Cerwin Vega Repair Center...
This is the only place that I know of who can repair any vintage Cerwin Vega Power Amplifier I have had 5 of them fixed there.
A1800 A2200 I3000 M200 I1800
Most of them are all a simple fix broken solder joints on the transistor legs that crack over time have to be re-soldered to the main boards again.
Look for cracked solder joints or remove the main sound boards and test every circuit once you have located the cracked solder joint it must be removed carefully and the leg must be soldered to the circuit and placed back on the board.
This maybe very time consuming so you may just need to ship it out to Tom in Augusta Georgia to repair the amplifier properly and you should get many many years of service out of it again I have posted the name and address and phone number above on this listing.
You may be asking why do I have so many vintage Cerwin Vega Power amplifiers well I Dj at times and I am a vintage Cerwin Vega Power Amplifier connoisseur.
The seventies and eighties the USA produce the best audio in the world and they're still functioning today 40 and 50 and 60 years later this was a time when the United States was great I just wanted to keep a piece of that greatness.
Cerwin Vega was the top of the line Audio at that time and you are very blessed to own one then and now.
With this low cost repair to fix these amplifier's that are simply bulletproof after the repair they would probably last another 40 years the highest cost will be to ship it I think $50 to $65 in the USA UPS ground shipping but that will be one way so prepare your budget for round trip in shipping alone to be about $150 the fix maybe the same or a little more depending upon exactly what the problem is but mostly after 40 and 50 years it's the same thing broken solder joints on the main boards separate in time because of the vibration from the speaker bass modules and simply over time they get old and crack.
Tom has a great fix for these power amps and the problem may not ever raise its ugly head again after he repairs them I will keep that a secret.
So if you're into vintage audio and you were lucky enough to acquire a vintage Cerwin Vega Power amplifiers don't throw it away get it repaired the sound quality of these amplifiers are superb and Bar None to any other on this planet.

Mcmahon's Electronics Repair 3037 Meadowbrook Dr, Augusta, Ga 30906 (706) 793-10992016-09-30 22:44

McMahon's Electronics Repair
3037 Meadowbrook Dr, Augusta, GA 30906
(706) 793-1099
(Master Vintage Cerwin Vega Power Amplifier Repair)

Cerwin Vega Vintage Amplifier Master Repair Shop.2016-10-01 07:45

Excellent and Professional Service in Augusta Georgia

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.