RS-646, Requesting Repair Tip: Intermittent FL Display

Read more on the Fisher RS-646 in our home audio section

John2011-08-17 15:04

The FL display on my RS-646 is extremely intermittent, and I have heard from others that an intermittent condition for the FL display is common on these and caused by "a transistor and resistor" and that the nature of the failure is an "intermittently shorted" condition. This was from a shop that for $20 quoted me an additional estimated $150 to repair it a few years ago. I'm an experienced technician (specializing in vintage TV & radio, old tube gear, but was a TV/VCR/Audio tech in the 90s) and I did not consider this 20-year-old receiver worth a $170 repair bill. It's not old enough to be Vintage (if it had been a KX-60 tuner or KM-100 amp, I'd have recapped it myself with no hesitation). What I'd like to know is WHICH "transistor and resistor" (their Qxxx and Rxxx references) and location on the chassis) so I can repair this thing cheaply myself since it's barely worth $20 now that the video loop is all but obsolete. Are they surface-mounted or conventional through-hole parts? Are they on the main board (power supply section perhaps, supplying some master electrode voltage source to the FL display tube? Are these parts instead buried on the display PC board itself, hidden deep inside the front panel? If they're SMD parts buried deep inside the front panel, I'll probably junk the thing and substitute another Pro Logic (Pioneer) receiver that I have, fully working but with fewer features. If it's something simple and relatively easy to reach, then I'd like to fix it. For now, I just "put up with" the display being intermittent, since I know all the operations of the unit well enough to practically run it without the display. Problem is my girlfriend and her dauhter also need to operate my AV system and the best I can do to help them cope with it is to create some macros on a fancy remote so they can perform often-needed mode changes with single key presses via the remote, but tuning radio stations without the display would still be tricky for the non-technicians in the house. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.