STAV-3880, Volume control going wild

Read more on the RCA STAV-3880 in our home audio section

Bob Sell2007-12-21 01:09

Turning the manual knob causes the volume to jump high and low; the remote volume +/- works fine. I tried to get your schematic so I could check it out but there are no links. Anyone have suggestions?

Advertisement

Bob Sell2007-12-21 01:09

I had the exact same problem. I was able to repair mine. The master volume rotary encoder was bad. I tried to order a new assembly from Radio Shack, but the unit is discontinued and they do not have parts for it any more. I unsoldered the encoder from the circuit board. It had an ALPS logo on it, but no part number. After researching it on ALPS\'s website, I determined that the best replacement was part number EC12E2430803. To get it direct from ALPS you need a minimum order of 950. I found a retailer on the internet, Mouser Electronics, that sells ALPS encoders but they did not carry that particular unit. I purchased one that was close, ALPS part number 688-EC12E2420801 for $1.47. Electrically it works fine but it was not the same physical size so I had to modify it to mechanically fit into the circuit board. The shaft is a little shorter than the original, so the knob didn\'t want to stay on very well. A little hot glue fixed that. Basically, the specs you need are a 12mm incremental encoder with a 25mm length insulated shaft and a resolution of 24 pulses. Try to get the same physical size so it fits into the circuit board properly. Good luck!

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.