ELSF-81, stack \'m

Read more on the Stax ELSF-81 in our home audio section

Mark Hnatov2004-02-26 02:50

I have (2) pairs of Stax F81\'s. I\'ve been using my original pair (still working) with a pair of Janis sub-woofers. I recently was given another pair, but one of the speakers isn\'t working. It appears that the step up transformer is bad. I\'ve contacted Stax but they have no replacement parts.

Do you know if I can get a replacement transformer from someone else? If so, the bigger question is are these speakers worth investing in since they are no longer made? My thoughts were to see if I could get this second pair working and try to stack the two F81 to simulate an F83.

I\'ve also been toying around with the idea of adding a pair of TL\'s to replace the Janis subs. Mid bass with the F81/Janis combination is thin. Does this make any sense? Would I be better off scraping what I have and replacing them? A local Audio dealer is selling a demo pair of Dunlavy V\'s. They sounded really good, but I find myself in a state of delema. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Advertisement

Joe Weidner2004-02-26 02:51

What makes you think that the Stax´s transformer is faulty? I own 3 pairs of Stax ELS (F81, 4X and 8X) and on all speakers the capacitors in the high voltage supply died. This will show up as little to zero output, sometimes fluctuating. These parts usually die after 10 to 15 years (or faster if speaker is not used). Get in touch with me if you need help! (jowe@d2mail.de)

Jerry2012-05-16 18:42

Hello,

My name is Jerry and I read your story about after time going bad capacitors used in the step-up transformer of the ELS-F81 speakers.
One of the speakers has less output and I think one of the yellow capacitors (0.1uF) is broken.

Where can I buy new ones in The Netherlands or do you have 2 sets of 3 capacitors (for both speakers)?
Can I pay you with Pay-Pal?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Replaced already the RC-filter at the input.

Kind regards,

Jerry
e-mail: cear.bt@hotmail.com

Jerry2012-05-16 18:43

Hello,

My name is Jerry and I read your story about after time going bad capacitors used in the step-up transformer of the ELS-F81 speakers.
One of the speakers has less output and I think one of the yellow capacitors (0.1uF) is broken.

Where can I buy new ones in The Netherlands or do you have 2 sets of 3 capacitors (for both speakers)?
Can I pay you with Pay-Pal?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Replaced already the RC-filter at the input.

Kind regards,

Jerry

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.