, Tweeter array, model unknown

Read more on JansZen in our home audio section

Carl Lavertu2004-02-24 00:34

I have got two Janszen tweeter array\'s. They consist of 4 panels per box that are mounted in a square. I want to mount them in an vertical linear array with an acoustic lens in front of it like some models of Janszen. I could build the lens out of rigid material but I do not have the shape neither the spacing between the plates and the angle of the plates. Could you provide me any information about the acoustic lenses?

Also can you tell me what impedance and SPL they are?

Advertisement

Brian Wallen2005-06-28 09:27

Carl, I am not familiar with a free-standing high frequency JansZen array configured as you describe, but this arrangement was used in some of the JansZen ELS/dynamic full range units.

JansZen's first offering was of four panels per side, with all four units facing directly forward in a line or with the units arranged in a fan-shaped box--I'm just guessing, but I'd say the panels were about 15 degrees offset from each other. I have a pair of the latter design and am just considering remounting them in a line with an open back. The original fan-shaped design provided much better horizontal dispersion, since the early ESL panels (at least) were pretty beamy. Since I am a sweet spot type listener, I plan to mount mine vertically and may do some experimentation with varying the vertical angle of the panels mounting them in a concave configuration. Something like this, but with less extreme mounting angles than my ASCII Art is capable of rendering.

_____
| |
| /
| /
| |
| |
| | ==>
| |
| |
| \
| \
|_____|

I have the original schematics and instructions which were published before it was common to note the SPL. I would guess they were in the 85 range. I think that would increase if they were mounted as I have suggested, since all elements would be aimed at the same three square foot listening area.

JansZen 130s were made in 8 and 16 ohm models and my 130s have this printed on the back plate which is also the backplane for the power supply and crossover. There is also a fuse holder on the back that specifies a 1/8 amp fuse and of course the power cord.

If you do a project, I hope you will share the results here.

I have scanned the Janszen product brochure for the Models 130 and 65. You can imagine my design as a four element version of the Model 65, but with the offset angles that are gentler.

Brian Wallen

Brian Wallen2005-06-28 10:35

My attempt at ASCII Art fell victim to embedded space compression that I should have anticipated, since it is common with most HTML software. I have scanned the Janszen product brochure for the Models 130 and 65. You can imagine my design as a four element version of the Model 65, but with the offset angles that are gentler. The brochure is termporarily at: http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/Audio/JanszenProdF.htm and I will arrange for it, the instruction sheet and the schematic to be posted in this section.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.