XG-10, Removing panels

Read more on the Dayton Wright XG-10 in our home audio section

Frank Grover2004-02-23 22:23

How can individual panels be removed from DW XG-10 speakers without damage to the speaker or panel? What are the values of the string of resistors that are in the bias circuit inside the speaker?

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:23

I am not sure that I remember how to remove the panels from the frame that they were mounted to. It has been a long time since I assembled one. A lot of the parts were glued vs. bolted etc. to eliminate that chance of vibrations causing loose parts. I know that the metal stator plates of each cell were riveted to the plastic cell half with long aluminum rivets. Then the membranes were ”solvent welded” to one cell half using acetone (see a previous answer). I am pretty sure that the cell halves were then either bolted or riveted together with 4 to 6 fasteners to form a very solid single cell structure. These cells were then fastened to a support frame that held them in the curved array that improved the dispersion pattern at upper frequencies. I can\'t remember how the cells were attached to the frame but am suspicious that an adhesive was likely used. We definitely used an industrial caulking gun type of applicator to apply a black, rubber based organic solvent adhesive that was typically used in building construction to fasten wallboard to wooden framing when finishing basements. We called it DAP (it was part of a family of DAP products). I know for sure that the wooden 1/4 inch thick braces that were used to stiffen the mounting frame in the XG-10s were fastened to the frame using DAP. I suspect the cells were too. If I am correct, removing a cell is a pain. You have to get a very sharp carpenter\'s knife and progressively cut the DAP away until enough is gone to move the cell. You will need a lot of patience and muscle power.

Regarding the resistors - if you mean the ones inside the potted HV power supply - I don\'t know. Other than those, the only other resistors exposed to HV were the one on each cell installed to prevent fires if something in the cell shorted. I think they were around 1 Megohm each. Sorry I can\'t remember more.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.