XG-8 Mk3s, wiring diagram needed

Read more on the Dayton Wright XG-8 Mk3s in our home audio section

Dave Miller2004-02-23 22:23

I have the XG-8 Mark3 Series 3, Serial # 2333A&B. My speakers are over 20 years old and have the ”threshold mod.” It consists of disconnecting the ”tweeters” and driving the speakers full range and adding Apature tweeters. I found it necessary to insert a resistor in line to let the amp see a decent load. I recently lost gas in one speaker and didn\'t know it. I fried the connectors, cable and speaker. As you know the original was sealed with DAP. I had to destroy the connector to get it out of the speaker.

My question: The speaker connection has 6 pins. Pin 3 and pin 2 each have two wires to be connected. Pins 1,4, and 5 have one wire. My specific question is: What does each wire connect to in the speaker. I suspect some of these wires are for my disconnected ”tweeters.” Look forward to Mr. Young\'s answer and a schematic of the inside of the speaker if he has it.

Advertisement

Paul Young2004-02-23 22:23

I have no data on the ”Threshold mod” so can only guess what was done. There is very little work to disconnecting the tweeters and it can be done several ways. If you look at the Schematics for the XG10 / IM10 on this site (pages 17 & 18 of the PDF of the manual that I sent in), what you will see is pretty close to the XG-8 set-up - at least for the connectors at the speaker to cable interface. More important differences existed in the IM10 box schematic as you get into the impedance tweaking and attenuator passive components.

There really wasn\'t any crossover in the conventional way of thinking (for either version). To disconnect the tweeter on an XG-10 one would cut the Grey wire from transformer T3 to the main speaker cable. This schematic only shows wire colours (no pin numbers) so I cannot make the translation to pin numbers for you. You should be able to this easily using a cheap ohm meter and the schematic of the speaker box. There are only 3 wires to test once you ignore the tweeter\'s wires. Two of them will have low resistance to the stators and one will look OPEN to a meter (it goes to the diaphragms). Just be sure that all the cell and power supply voltages are drained off - they can kill you.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.