1 plus 1, Interface Problem

Read more on the Acoustat 1 plus 1 in our home audio section

Greg Wiesner2007-06-13 14:58

I have a set of Acoustst 2+2 Electrostatic Speakers with a Mk-121-C interface. My left speaker started sparking the other day at the interface. I read that it could be the 50,000 ohm, 50 watt resistors breaking down. There is bad distortion and hi and low peaks on the volume for that speaker. I saw that David Hafler suggest a repai tech in Florida, Sounds Like New. Called the number and got a disconnection notice. Does anyone know who repairs these interfaces? Please Help! Greg

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2007-06-15 02:53

Try contacting Roy by email at: soundslikenew@prodigy.net. I have heard that Roy is difficult to contact, keep trying.

Andy Szabo2007-07-27 23:35

The 50,000 ohm resistors appear frequently on eBay, from a seller called \'Soundvalves\". These are genuine Acoustat \"new-old stock\". However, these resistors are pretty reliable, and although they can fail, I would first suspect a problem in one of the audio transformers. Since you have one interface that is operating properly, you could track down the problem by swapping one part at a time from the good interface into the defective one. This is assuming, of course, that you are handy with a soldering iron, etc. I\'m not sure, but Soundvalves may have some audio transformers, too.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.