3, return of the rattle

Read more on the Acoustat 3 in our home audio section

Anthony Palmer2006-04-26 10:42

Hello again. I finally got around to trying to solve the rattling panel problem as per your instructions - thank you. The problem had \"solved\" itself for awhile because I started using an older pre/pro with a fixed 80hz crossover; the rattle pretty much disappeared at the expense of not being able to run the panels at full range. However, I\'ve recently upgraded to another pre/pro with a variable crossover, and I\'ve been crossing over to the sub at 40hz. The sound is more natural, but the rattle returned. Now I could even cause the panel to rattle just by shaking it. Before I tried your recommendations, I noticed that hitting the top of the panel caused the rattle to go away for awhile. Very strange. I tested this method for weeks and it never failed. But in an attempt to remedy the problem for good I followed your instructions. After using the blow dryer I shook the panel and it seemed to be quiet. I then plugged the panel back in and the rattle came back, So I repeated the process and now the panel seems even looser than before I started. Everything seems better until I plug the speaker in, then the mylar seems to loosen up again. Should I continue the shrinking process? Also, should I place a nail in the top edge of the frame since pounding the top seemed to quiet the panel? Thanks again for your advice on this matter.

Advertisement

Anthony Palmer2006-05-09 23:52

Well, the repair had mixed results. After trying several more times with a blowdryer with no results, I rented a heat gun. Being very careful I heated the entire panel. Everything seemed tight until, again, I plugged the speaker back in. then the rattle returned even worse than before I started the repair. I let it sit overnight, then before I returned the heat gun I gave the panel a good heating. In my frustration though I overdid it, as I noticed the grid start to melt. I was sure I had wrecked the panel. I left it for a day, too discouraged to even listen to the result. Well, needing to hear music I plugged the speaker in, and much to my pleasant surprise the panel sounds *better* than before I started the repair. The rattle is now only every so often and only with very loud bass of a specific frequency. I can live with this. But having checked the panel closer I can tell that the mylar is torn in places, though it seems to still be active. Major bullet dodged - so far. So, I\'m in the market for a replacement panel ASAP. I don\'t know how long the panel will last as it is, so I\'d like to replace it before too long. I know they\'re scarce, so wish me luck. Thanks for reading.

Andy Szabo2006-07-15 12:24

I’m sorry to hear that you ruined a panel. Unfortunately, there is a fine line between the right amount of heat and too much. Replacement panels appear occasionally on eBay – probably your best source for finding one. Do remember that the center panel of a Model 3 is an 8” panel, whereas the two outer panels are the more common 9” panel. You’ll probably need new grille socks after getting into the speaker for repairs – information on getting new ‘factory original’ cloth is available on this site. Good luck, and do write again if you have further problems.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.