Spectra 2200, Various, service available?

Read more on the Acoustat Spectra 2200 in our home audio section

Mike Goering2004-02-23 22:21

Hi Andy! I\'m so glad i found this site! I had spectra 33\'s in 1989 mated to CJ MV75 A1\'s 150W monos and was in audio heaven!! Then I parted with the 33\'s hoping to find 22\'s (still have the CJ\'s) -

Now 14yrs later I located a pair of 2200\'s and hope to get them. I live in Scottsdale AZ and did have Mr Stricklin answer a call to the plant in Tempe once before Rockford bailed on Acoustat. I have contacted the Sock mfg in Mesa too for new cloths. If they need service/repair, what are my current options? Thanks so much, Mike Goering

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

The best news I can offer on the subject of future repairs for your Spectra 2200\'s is that you may never need repair. Acoustats are one of the most reliable and longest lasting loudspeakers ever made.

Should you need repair, your first step should be contacting this website. Depending on the nature of the problem, I can often troubleshoot your problem, and offer sources for replacement parts. If the problem is something major like an audio transformer, there is a company in Florida, ”Sounds Like New”, that advertises repairs of Acoustat electronics, and they claim to have many transformers in stock. See ”Refurbishing” for contact information.

If you ever experience a defective panel, then you would be out-of-luck. They are no longer available new, and are not repairable. However, the panels are the most reliable part of the speaker, and rarely, if ever, go bad. You may experience the occasional problem of dust causing noises in the panel, but that is usually something that can be remedied.

Overall, I think you can buy a used pair of Acoustats with a high level of confidence, as long as you are able to listen to them first. Unlike conventional speakers, which may experience dry rot in woofer surrounds, and other age-related problems, there is nothing in the Acoustat speaker that has been found to degrade with age.

I currently own a pair of Spectra 1100\'s, but I would love to upgrade to a pair of 44\'s or 4400\'s. If I found a properly functioning pair for sale locally, I would not hesitate to buy them.

Roy A. Esposito2004-02-23 22:21

I am very much alive. I am No-Where near retiring .... and over many years have come up with astounding improvements, variations and restorations for the Acoustat MK and Spectra Interfaces and even more so the Trans-Nova amplifiers (TNT-200 and TNT-120) and Trans-Nova Preamplifier (TNP). I also renew the earlier and more rare, Acoustat MRP and RP-2 preamps.

To my chagrin ---- Folks don't realize I was many years younger than the other principals at Acoustat, back in 70's and 80's Fort Lauderdale. About half their age at that time. I am happy to continue lovingly working with Acoustat products. I do this with a fully functional laboratory and stockroom of original .........and improvement parts.

But please realize that... in 2011.... this is part-time work.... in addition to my regular full-time engineering/consulting work. So it can take a few weeks in total, for me to work my Acoustat "magic"...... as my client's have often described the results.

I hope the above will help explain why I don't provide a phone number, except to established clients, and I prefer email contact instead. I also prefer my work and "word-of-mouth" to speak for itself ....instead of having and spending time maintaining a website. There are others that offer work on Acoustat products. Fancy words .... Fancy websites. But NONE of them worked for the Company. And to correct the mess....Folks usually end up with me despite the glowing website tetimonials. That's just sad.

I very much appreciate all of you, who continue to revere and enjoy the magnificent design works of Dr. Strickland, and our original Acoustat Engineering Team.

May we all enjoy the Music

Roy A. Esposito / soundslikenew@prodigy.net

Andre2014-01-12 04:50

Hi, I'm in need of repair of my spectra 2200 speakers. please email me if you can help. thank you!

Martin Dareff2014-07-24 15:41

Would love to find a pair of Spectra 2200's in exc condition for sale.

Thanks
Marty

Darryl Stacey2016-04-04 22:09

Recently bought a pair of Acoustats at estate sale, hoping they would be in working condition and to my enjoyment they work great!!! Now I need a source for the "socks" (covers) as it looks like the cats got them. Any information on sources would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

Martin Dareff2016-04-05 11:46

Ren and Shirley Jenson ( November 2001): We manufacture the Acoustat Replacement Grill Socks. We formerly made them for Rockford Fosgate Corp. and were featured on their site. We are still making them for the previous Rockford customers.

The Upholstery Company Inc. (Ren and Shirley Jenson)
http://www.upholsteryarizona.com/acoustat.htm
renjenson@cox.net
418 N. Hunt St. Mesa, Arizona 85203, USA
+1 (888)994-8273
+1 (480) 898-9546

Martin Dareff2016-04-05 11:47

Ren and Shirley Jenson ( November 2001): We manufacture the Acoustat Replacement Grill Socks. We formerly made them for Rockford Fosgate Corp. and were featured on their site. We are still making them for the previous Rockford customers.

The Upholstery Company Inc. (Ren and Shirley Jenson)
http://www.upholsteryarizona.com/acoustat.htm
renjenson@cox.net
418 N. Hunt St. Mesa, Arizona 85203, USA
+1 (888)994-8273
+1 (480) 898-9546

Darryl Stacey2016-04-05 20:01

Thank you for the quick response!
Tried your web address but it does not work.
Will email for specifics.

Midareff@the-beach.net2016-04-06 00:07

FWIW, it's a web addy I have had stashed a long time. Unless you have tried your acoustats nude you have never heard them, and won't go back. Truly a super WOW!

Darryl Stacey2016-04-27 19:52

The contact info for The Upholstery Company is not valid any longer, anyone have more current info on where to source the speaker covers for Acoustat?
Thank you in advance.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.