Spectra 1100, Power requirements

Read more on the Acoustat Spectra 1100 in our home audio section

Ben Henry2004-02-23 22:21

Hello Mr. Szabo, Firstly, I want to express my appreciation for all the information you have provided at the ESL Circuit. I would be absolutely lost without it. My grandfather bought a pair of Acoustat Spectra 1100s at a Pawn Shop in Tulsa,OK. I haven\'t even seen them yet. He paid $200.00 for the pair, which, from what he says, are in great cosmetic shape.

However, The shop owner said he couldn\'t get the panel itself working, only the woofer. I am going to try them out myself and see if maybe he had them wired wrong. I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about their power requirements. It looks like they are pretty inefficient and therefore require loads of power. I have a Denon AVR 4800 receiver which is a high current unit which runs 140 watts per channel rms. Can I power these with this unit? Is there anything else I need to know about them? I\'ve listened to Martin Logan speakers and really enjoyed them, so I\'m hoping I can make use of them. Thanks in advance for any information. Sincerely, Ben Henry

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Wow! $200 bucks for a pair of Spectra 1100\'s. That\'s a great bargain.

If the panel is not connected inside the interface enclosure (black box on top of the woofer box), then only the woofer will play. There is a white plastic multi-pin connector that connects to the top of the woofer box. That connects the interface to the outside world. Secondly, there are five color-coded pin plugs for the panel\'s connection to the interface. All of these connections are pretty obvious when you look at them: see the diagrams under ”schematics” for further details on assembly.

The amplifier you have should be suitable for the 1100\'s. However, you can use up to 250 watts per channel (8 ohm rating), as long as you do it with care.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.