Tony Galloway RDL Acoustics new topic
Roy A. Esposito Acoustat topic reply
Mike Luxman MQ-80 specifications

, Various, Acoustats and Child Safety

Read more on Acoustat in our home audio section

Rick Perell2004-02-23 22:21

I am a new father with an old pair of acoustat spectra electostatic speakers. Do I have to worry about my child crawling and poking around the speakers? Thanks, concerned Dad

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

It is true that electrostatic loudspeakers do contain hazardous high voltages, but as electrostatics go, Acoustats are quite safe.

Do make sure that the metal interface chassis is properly bolted down: this is where the greatest shock hazard exists. The panel section also contains high voltages, but it is fairly inaccessible with the grille cloth in place. Obviously, a slender metal object, thrust through the grille cloth, could come into contact with high voltage and produce a mild shock, but the chances of that are pretty slim. Any child who would do that probably deserves a bit of a shock anyway (just kidding - sort of).

There are far greater dangers in your home for you to be concerned about, such as electrical outlets and toxic chemicals. As a concerned parent, I\'m sure you\'ve already taken steps to ”childproof” those items. So rest easy dad: it is possible to both enjoy good music, and to raise your children in safety.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.