, Various, where were you...

Read more on Acoustat in our home audio section

Cindy Martisko2004-02-23 22:21

Andy, were you also an engineer for Acoustat in 1985, 86, and 87? I am a little confused by the data reported. It is my understanding that you were with Acoustat in 1985, and previous to that, you were with David Hafler.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Checking some of the facts, I now see why it might be confusing where I was and when. My biography on this website lists 1988 as my start date with Acoustat: it should have been 1985. This was my error, and I will make sure that is corrected.

The following is a detailed time-line that should make everything fit into place.

I was a full-time engineer for the David Hafler Company, located in Pennsauken New Jersey, from mid-1982 until early 1985. I also worked at Hafler as a repair technician and engineering assistant from June to December in 1980 and 1981.

Hafler acquired the bankrupt Acoustat in late 1984. I was moved to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida in early 1985, to do engineering and manage the new Acoustat Division. That lasted until the Rockford Corporation bought both Hafler and Acoustat in late 1987.

Rockford moved the Acoustat Division (and me) to Tempe, Arizona in early 1988. A few months later, the Hafler Division was also moved to Tempe. It was at that time that I became involved with both Hafler and Acoustat simultaneously. I ended my work with Acoustat in late 1990 (\'91?) when Rockford sold it to an Italian firm. That was a very sad time: I spent two weeks in Italy as a technical liaison, and saw the meager resources of the new owner. I suspected then that Acoustat was already dead, and twelve years time has proved me right. I was laid-off from Rockford in late 1993, when Hafler\'s home line was being discontinued in favor of pursuing pro-sound exclusively.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.