8, Interfaces, voltage change

Read more on the Acoustat 8 in our home audio section

Andrei Tudoran2004-02-23 22:21

I hope you can answer my question ! I own a pair of Acoustats Model 8 ( two transformers each ) I now live in the States they are 110/60hz In the near future I will be moving to Thailand 220/50hz. What are my chances of changing the power supply on them. Thanks for your attention, Andrei Tudoran.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Ah…the Model 8\'s: now that\'s a speaker! Not too many of those were ever built.

Acoustat originally offered the interfaces in 100 volt, 110/120 volt, or 220/240 volt versions. The only difference was the bias supply transformer. Unfortunately, these transformers are no longer available new. If you can find some on the used market, you\'ll need four of them. The 220/240 volt bias supply transformer part number was XP240 (after 1988). I don\'t know what the part number was before that.

Another solution would be to use a separate step-down transformer to convert the 220 volts down to 120 volts. The change from 60 Hz to 50 Hz should not be a problem. A fairly low power transformer could be used, probably less than 25 watts total for all four interfaces. This should be a true transformer, not one of those ”voltage converters” sold for electric razors, etc.

There is a third solution, and I\'m hesitant to suggest it, because I\'ve never tried it, and it would involve some rewiring. Since you have two 120 volt interfaces per speaker, it is possible to wire these two bias supply transformers in series, and then operate the pair from 220/240 volts. This would involve AC wiring between the two black boxes, and unless you know how to do this safely, I would suggest you ignore this idea and go with one of the other solutions.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.