3, Various, changing into 2+2

Read more on the Acoustat 3 in our home audio section

Lee Sulka2004-02-23 22:21

I am considering modifying my Acoustat model 3s into a 2+2 configuration with some spare panels I have. In order to do this I need to add some length to the red, blue, and white wires that supply the panels. Do you know of a source for this wire or do you have any suggestions for alternatives? Thanks again, Lee.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Newark Electronics (www.newark.com) has a wire that I think would work okay. Their part number 05F1285, it is 22 gauge silver-plated copper wire, with type R790 silicon insulation rated for 20-kV. It\'s not cheap: $126 for a 100-foot roll. This wire is white, so you\'ll need to color-code it with colored markers, tape, or shrink tubing.

All splices should be soldered and insulated with a double layer of heat shrink tubing. Stagger the splices so that no two splices are directly next to each other.

A note to all you ”wire-nuts” out there: I DO NOT recommend the use of this wire for the wholesale ”upgrade” of the wiring from the panels to the interface. There is no advantage in making such a change. This wire is to be used only when the existing wires are too short and must be extended, as in the project mentioned above.

Please note that the Spectra 44/4400 frame drawing shown on this website is NOT the same as the 2+2 frame. Both contain four panels, but the 2+2 holds the panels at a slight angle (9 degrees?) for proper dispersion.

This sounds like a great project. Have fun!

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.