3-MH, Crossover, problem

Read more on the Acoustat 3-MH in our home audio section

Les Ehman2004-02-23 22:21

 have a set of Acoustat 3 MH speakers with the MK - 131 transformer. No mods have been done to them and I have a problem with one of the crossovers. The bass coil on one side is allowing the full frequency to get to the sub. What type and value of coil do I need, and where might I find it if it is a special piece?


Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

I do not have the specifications for the MK-131 crossover coil. But, the good thing about stereo equipment is that you have two of everything!

I suggest you take out the other good coil and have someone measure its inductance (in millihenries, or mH), and its resistance (in ohms). These are the two most important specifications. A full-service repair shop can probably do this for you.

Once you have the specifications, there are a number of companies that will make custom crossover coils. Ask for an air-core type. I suggest you get two made, and replace them both, so that you have exactly the same part in each channel.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.