2-MH, Various, impedance?

Read more on the Acoustat 2-MH in our home audio section

Mike2004-02-23 22:21

I have a pair of these that I have used for a long time. I have used a NAD amp to drive them. I love the sound, but my amp is starting to fade. I\'ve talk to some stereo rep\'s here, but they all back off when I tell them what speakers I have. I bought the speakers new but I dont know what there impendance is. Can you help me out? Mike

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

Since you have the MK131 (interface model number), I assume that you have the 2MH or 3MH Hybrid Systems, or perhaps the rather rare 1+1S. All of these models are electrostatic/dynamic woofer combinations.

If an audio salesman ”backs off” from you at the mention of Acoustat, then I would recommend that you back off from that store. You\'re probably not shopping at the right kind of store, or at least you\'re talking to sales people too young to remember the ”good ol\' days” of Acoustat.

Your speakers are nominally rated at 4-ohms, although the impedance varies considerably with frequency, from a high of about 10 ohms to as low as 2 ohms at very high frequencies. You need an amp comfortable with driving low impedances, and I would recommend at least 100 watts per channel (8 ohm rating) if you like to play your music loud.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.