2 plus 2, Frames, modified frames

Read more on the Acoustat 2 plus 2 in our home audio section

Stephen Robinson2004-02-23 22:21

I have been toying with the idea of a super rigid heavy frame. The design I have is based on box section steel - no welding as it will distort components. Does anyone know if there is a reason I should not use steel/alloy in this fashion?

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

This idea has been presented previously, but I\'ve never heard anyone\'s actual results of making steel frames for Acoustat panels. Overall, it\'s not a bad idea, and could offer some sonic improvement. However, I will present a few cautions.

Make sure the spacing from the edge of the panel to the inner frame is at least as great as the original wood frame. The original speaker used a thin felt strip between the panel and the mating wood surface. This was largely done to reduce vibrations between the panel and frame. The need for this dampening strip would probably be just as great, if not more so, for a steel frame.

Make sure the panel wires leading down to the interface are isolated from the steel frame. Otherwise, arc-over could occur on large bass notes. Running the wires inside a larger PVC jacket might be a good idea. For safety\'s sake, electrically ground the steel frame through the interface chassis to earth ground. This way, if high voltage does come into contact with the steel frame, there will be no shock hazard. You might consider filling the steel frame tubes with sand. Besides adding mass and stability to the frame, it would tend to damp any tendency for the frame to ring. (Try rapping your knuckles on a piece of wood versus a piece of steel to demonstrate the huge difference in resonant qualities of these two materials.)

Good Luck, and let us know how your project turns out!

Stephen Robinson2004-02-23 22:21

You might remember I contacted you last October or so re metal frames for 1+1s. Well after much investigation I ditched the idea proposed in my mail to you BUT I have re-framed them in an unusual way and am very very pleased with the results. I also have pooled information on modifying Acoustats from a number of us who have been ”messing about” with them for a long time. A work in progress, I would appreciate any comment you have especially if I\'ve included any inaccuracies or misrepresentations. You can find more on at the following address:

http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/spkr.html and
http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/action.html#spkr for pictures

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.