2 plus 2, Output, low frequency gone

Read more on the Acoustat 2 plus 2 in our home audio section

Brian Wallen2004-02-23 22:21

I have a pair of Acoustat 2+2s. Low frequency response has departed from one channel. The amp--an Aragon 4004--driving the 2+2s recently blew up, so it is possible that this caused a fault in one of the speakers, or this condition may have existed before and I just hadn\'t noticed it. I traced the problem to the Mk 121 interface by swapping the interfaces between the panels.

The tech I am using has no experience with Acoustats. Can you make some suggestions about where to look for the problem. On a more general note: I understood the Acoustats were full range on each panel. This problem suggests there is a crossover, where something driving the low side got damaged. Or is there another explanation. Thanks, Brian Wallen

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

The speaker with the missing low frequencies almost certainly has a bad low-frequency transformer. When an amplifier fails, it often produces DC voltages that have been known to destroy that transformer. The good news is that you can get the interface repaired. Contact ”Sounds Like New”, listed under ”Refurbishing” on this website. Note that they do not sell parts, so you will need to send the affected interface to them for repair.

The 2+2 has all surface area of the speaker being driven full-range. However, the high-voltage audio step-up is accomplished with a two-transformer system. These two transformers overlap considerably in frequency range, and their outputs are recombined to form a single full-range signal that is fed to the panels.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.