Brett Robertson Audio topic reply

2 plus 2, Various, manual and modifications

Read more on the Acoustat 2 plus 2 in our home audio section

Bing Bergstedt2004-02-23 22:21

My System consists of the following:

Pre-amp - Audio Research Pre-amp SP6
Power-amp - Krell Stereo Power Amplifier KSA100
Tuner
ESL\'s - Acoustat 2+2, Model MK-121-2A, Serial Numbers 212205 and 212206, 220 - 240 vac 50hz
CD-player - Wadia 6 CD Player
Turntable - Lynn Sondek Turntable LP12

I hope that you are able to assist with the following requests pertaining to the referred 2+2\'s.

1. Owners manual - if you would kindly mail me a copy and include frequency response curves and/or figures.

2. Have you made any modifications to the referred generation specifically towards providing good bass reproduction? If so, what are these and can they be purchased as retro-fit kits for fitting by either the customer or service technician.

The 2+2\'s have over many years proven reliable and importantly given me great pleasure with my only criticism being the lack of good bass. I have tried the separate sub-woofer route (Janis) but with minimum success. My preference is to possibly upgrade the Two + Two’s and have them totally integrated. I remain an avid fan of Acoustat and look forward to receiving your reply.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2004-02-23 22:21

The owner\'s manual is now available on this site.

At one time, there was a factory modification for the MK-121 transformer interface. However, this is no longer available. Although not specifically aimed at improving bass reproduction, the Medallion modification did tighten bass response somewhat. I am not aware of any other modifications.

Mating a subwoofer to a planar speaker (electrostatic or otherwise) can be tricky, at best. Because of the very different dispersion and speed characteristics of a conventional woofer as compared to a planar speaker, it is difficult to make the transition seamless. Use as low a crossover frequency as possible, certainly less than 100 Hz for the 2+2, to retain as much of the electrostat\'s quality as possible. The slope and phasing of the crossover is also an issue, with not necessarily the same slope for the high-pass and low-pass. As a start, I might suggest a 12 or 18 dB/octave slope for the low pass, and a 6 dB/octave slope for the high pass. Beyond that, further experimentation with room placement is required.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.