, Info speaker

Read more on Speakerlab in our home audio section

Mike Hooven2007-06-06 03:47

I followed the link to \"Lab Three\" and found that it described a speaker with an 8-inch woofer that was (perhaps) manufactured in 2001. However, I own a pair of large, heavy floor-standing 3-way Speakerlab that are identified by labels on the back as \"Speakerlab THREE\". These speakers have 12-inch woofers, 5-inch midrange speakers, and dome tweeters. They were clearly made years earlier than 2001. I guess my question is: what are these \"Lab Three\" speakers? Maybe my speakers should be identified with a separate link that is labeled \"Three\"? Just curious.

Advertisement

James2010-10-07 16:28

What you have is the S-3. It was manufactured starting around the 1977-1980 time frame. The 12" speaker is likely the W1208R. I'm not sure about the part numbers for the midrange and the tweeter; the midrange might actually be the 6" M608R. The next speaker in the line was the S-4 which definitely has the M608R midrange and replaced the dome tweeter with the WA4000 horn. The next speaker in the line was the S-6WA which replaced the midrange cone with the WA750 horn. The final speaker in that line was the S-7WA which added a 10" driver to operate in parallel with the 12" driver for enhanced bass. All were made for a few years at the end of 70s and beginning of 80s. Designs changed around the mid 80s.

Mike Hooven2010-10-08 18:57

James,

Thanks very much for your response to the question that I posted more than three years ago. I still have those speakers (which I bought at a thrift store for $20.00) -- although currently my main system now features a pair of AR 9LS speakers -- and I'm glad to know the history that you've provided.

Mike Hooven

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.