SPW-1, Tuning and dimensions

Read more on the Acoustat SPW-1 in our home audio section

Dave Stowers2007-01-17 18:35

There seems to be current activity in the ESL portion of the Acoustat area, so sorry for the repost. I have obtained the crossovers, input panel, and drivers for an Acoustat SPW-1 system. I would like to construct a cabinet for this hardware, preserving the original design (volume, tuning), but have only a small ad photo from an old Speaker Builder issue to base the style on (oak top/bottom panels, sock around a very approx 26in wide x 22in high x 20in. deep cabinet with a single ~4\" port (no depth specified). I\'ve measured the drivers using WT2 and they all are fairly consistent parameter-wise, so I believe they are functioning as intended. Can provide T/S parameters if there\'s interest. Is there someone who can either provide or point me to less approximate information regarding SPW-1 tuning and dimensions? ... my dang Stereophile-pile has a gap that starts with Vol12, issue 10 (includes an SPW-1 review) :P Planning to use this with 1+1S system that came with no sub unit. Thanks and regards.

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2007-01-20 17:34

The external overall dimensions for the SPW-1 are 23\" wide, 17\" deep, and 18-1/4\" high. Since the wooden top and bottom plates hang over the edge a bit, I would subtract about 2\" from each dimension to yield the external size of the actual woofer box, that is 21\" W x 15\" D x 16\" H. The box was probably constructed from 3/4\" or 1\" material, so you can figure the internal volume from that. I have no dimensions for the port tube, but if you have measured the Thiele-Small parameters of the woofers, and know the box volume, a suitable port can be calculated. I am quite sure the system was tuned for maximally flat response, rather than having a \"bump\" to give initially impressive (but false) bass response. But this is your chance to make it whatever way you want. Yes, please do post the Thiele-Small Parameters of the drivers. Somebody is bound to want to know someday. Ask the webmaster to post under the \"SPW-1\". Was the SPW-1 reviewed by Stereophile? I don\'t remember any reviews - if it was, I sure wish I had a copy.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.