Raphaël Bouziane Krohn-hite new topic
Thomas Maguire Abraxas new topic
Marc Poitras BKS Audio topic reply
Marc Poitras BKS Audio new topic
Scott Crockett Kenwood LS-408-B general information

DT-48, Beyer DT-48E for music listening

Read more on the Beyer DT-48 in our home audio section

Dale Thorn2011-02-15 06:28

Having had the DT-48 (no extra designation) and the DT-48S in the mid-1970's, I was curious to see what changed with the more recent model, the DT-48E that some sites were listing as a hi-fi headphone. The 1970's models (both sounded the same with the oval circumaural cushions) sounded rather low-fi, with severely rolled off lows and highs. I experimented with a Soundcraftsmen equalizer in the 1970's, and got a pretty good idea just how deficient those headphones were for hi-fi listening. Today's DT-48E uses similar cushions, but they are thicker, which makes them comfortable to wear, which the 1970's models were not. The extra thickness of the DT-48E's cushions, plus the fact that they seem to be sealed to the driver units and non-movable (the 1970's versions were movable 360 degrees), is probably what accounts for the improved sound of the DT-48E, particularly in the bass.

Just saying "improved sound" does not convey the impression I have of the new DT-48E. I have a $1500 Sennheiser HD-800 headphone, and the differences I discern between the HD-800 and the DT-48 are:

The HD-800 is warmer and has less presence.
The HD-800 has a stronger bass response, particularly in the deep bass.
The DT-48, while having more presence, i.e. a more forward midrange, has none of the midrange colorations of most headphones in its price range and below.

In summary, I was not prepared for such a dramatic difference in the DT-48, and I found it difficult to believe that it could compare favorably to the Sennheiser HD-800. There must be something I'm missing that the experts in this field would notice. But so far, my impressions seems to be holding up.

Advertisement

Dale Thorn2011-04-05 17:54

Addendum to review: I discovered that while the DT-48 has significantly less output than the HD-800 at 14 khz, it has much stronger output than the HD-800 at 15 to 16 khz. I missed this in my initial tests, because I thought my hearing cut off at 14 khz due to age. The "free mosquito tones" available on the Web are a good verification for these tests, since they are accurate as to frequency and loudness.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.