Allan Soria Aiwa topic reply
Allan Soria Aiwa topic reply
Bob Nace Acoustat topic reply
Roy A. Esposito Acoustat topic reply
Sang Thanh Huynh Tube technology new topic

2, MK-121 units upgrade

Read more on the Acoustat 2 in our home audio section

Phil Griffin2008-11-11 22:04

Is there a way you can tell if the Mk-121 unit has received the medallion upgrade by looking at its serial number? Please advise. Thank you. -Phil

Advertisement

Andy Szabo2008-11-12 12:56

Sorry, but the serial number is no indication. When the Medallion Transformers were introduced, a very popular upgrade program was offered, so speakers of a wide range of manufacturing dates were ultimately upgraded. The serial numbers did not change when upgraded. There should be a label on the interface box indicating Medallion Transformers if so equipped. If the lettering on the label is BLUE, then you have the medallion transformers, but not the later \'C-mod\'. If the lettering is RED, then you have both the transformers and the C-Mod. The C-mod is faily easy to perform using commonly available parts (instructions can be found elsewhere on this site).

Peter Cade2010-10-14 00:40

Andy - I have a pair of Mk121-2's with the medallion transformers, but not apparently the "C-mod" (blue label). You mention that instructions for doing the mod can be found elsewhere on the site, but I can't find 'em....... duh. Could you tell me where they are, please ?

Thanx Pete.

Andy Szabo2010-10-26 02:26

Much of the information that used to be on this site is no longer available, such as the document you are looking for. (So don't feel bad that you couldn't find it!) I am working with the webmaster to correct that situation, as having that technical info makes answering questions much easier. In the meantime, I will prepare a pdf version of that document, and perhaps the webmaster can forward it to you.

FYI - if your interfaces have Medallion transformers, they should have a blue Medallion label. Units with the later C-mod should have the same label in red.

Glenn Harned2014-04-22 18:47

Andy, could you please forward a copy of the instructions in pdf for doing the mod to me.
Thank you very much!

Glenn Harned

Acoustatanswerman2014-05-28 20:12

Glenn-

I would be pleased to forward the C-Mod instructions to you if you provide me with your email address. Not sure how else I might transmit it to you.

Glenn Harned2014-05-28 22:29

Hello Acoustatanswerman. Please find my email address as you requested.

Than you in advance!

Glenn Harned2014-05-28 22:31

Hmm seems I have to input it directly.

elevatorteck@hotmail.com

Robert Glasser2018-07-31 16:34

I would love and appreciate you sending me information on the “c” mod.
Thank you sir.

Robert Glasser2018-07-31 16:51

Oops my email is drglasservision@comcast.net
Also, what is the issue with paralleling two interfaces? Driving them with Crown Delta/Omega amp.

Robert Glasser2018-07-31 16:51

Oops my email is drglasservision@comcast.net
Also, what is the issue with paralleling two interfaces? Driving them with Crown Delta/Omega amp.

Acoustatanswerman2018-08-27 02:21

Robert-

Paralleling two interfaces is not recommended due to the low impedance of the interfaces at some frequencies. Impedance can dip below 2-ohms, so paralleling two interfaces would halve that value to less than 1-ohm. Most amplifiers are not happy with that, and some would be downright unstable. C-Mod instructions have been sent to your email address.

Post a reply

Your name will appear on the website next to your contribution. Your email address will only be used to contact you if something is wrong with your contribution. It will not be shared with others.